As I sat at my blue collapsible table this evening, one wing propped open to give me a nice area to spread everything out on, I sipped my coffee and reviewed last month. There were a good number of things I got done in June, several that I didn’t even start, and a couple that were absolutely fun to do. The things that I didn’t touch were ones I really want to get done—need to do—but also ones that have grown to gigantic proportion in my mind so I haven’t even started tackling them. I want to work at them this month. At least get started on those hard things.
Most of the time, though, I get so focused on the urgent that I forget what’s really important—what I really ought to be doing. Finding the balance, between what needs to happen and what should happen is hard. I’m tired of just barely scraping by on my jobs. Tired of doing the absolute minimum for my commitments, making it look like I’m doing okay when underneath I really suspect I’m blowing most of my time. This month, I want to be different. So I’m dedicating it—rededicating it—to the Lord. Asking Him to use me and use my time to His glory. I want to be a tool. And this is the only way I know how to be a tool.
This doesn’t mean I won’t outline what needs to be done. This means that I’m saying “Here, Lord, this is what I believe I need to be doing now—should I do it? Or do You have something more important for me to focus on at the moment?”
Okay. I don’t know if any of that makes sense, but that’s what I’ve been thinking over this evening.
Last week’s to-do list:
Reply to emails in inbox(done Monday, except there’s one in the inbox now that I want to respond to ASAP) Edit doc 22(done Tuesday) Upload reviews in doc 22(done Wednesday and Thursday) Catch up on writing reviews(done Wednesday)
- Spend 2 ½ hours on new theme (this is one of those monsters I haven’t conquered yet…but I want to!)
Send weekly newsletter(done Saturday) Finish I Needed a Neighbour(done Saturday)
- Spend 15 min. researching I Am Not Skilled to Understand (yeah…another “monster”. I don’t know why.)
This week’s list:
- Schedule book reviews through the 24th (already up to the 13th, but I need to get a bit further ahead)
- Edit reviews doc 6
- Upload the four reviews that weren’t ready before now (several were just published recently or will be published soon, and I don’t like posting the reviews until the books are actually available)
- Send this week’s newsletter
- Prepare next week’s newsletter (next week might be a bit hit-and-miss because of other plans, so I want to be ready in advance)
- Do bookkeeping
- Set up affiliate program payments (for some reason, I’ve never finished this…I don’t know why)
- Do some much-needed sewing!
Well, this week looks set to be an interesting one. We’re expecting some visitors who just “happened” to come across us online while searching for long-lost relatives (we sort-of know the relatives; they live about 7-9 hours south of us and we’ve met the family twice), and they want to meet us. We’re looking forward to that!
What are your plans for the coming week?